Sunday, January 23, 2011

Change in Information/ Thoughts on Poverty

Comfort III
$295
Correction:  This is the piece that will be hanging at the Love Exhibit at Bangkok Cafe through February and March.   Other artists participating will be Kathryn Deputat, Kasey Davis Appleman, Amy Joyce, Glenn Williams, Janice Williams, Jeff marguiles, and William Mahan.  Bankok Cafe is located at 25 Poplar Street in Roslindale.  And, this is one of the fun parts, there should be a reception --most likely February 17th, 6-8pm.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well in this dead time of the winter.  We are bracing for yet another snowstorm and, honestly, I am not sure if when I shovel, I can toss the snow high enough onto the snow mounds.  They are seriously over 6 feet tall!   I have been saying for a while that I want to work on my upper body strength, so I guess this is a cheap way to do it--no gym fees and the like.

Next thought:  I have been reading a lot of inspiring stories of how people start non-profits to help the poor or how they think of ways to use surplus food to feed the hungry.  So, then my mind starts churning and I think--maybe I should change professions and really help people.  And then I think maybe I should do a series of pieces on these issues and then donate some to charity.  

In other words, as an artist, how does one reconcile the luxury of art with the necessity and need that pervades our world?  Yes, there are always arguments that art lifts one's mind and enlightens one's perspective. But it has to be out there to do that and it has to touch those that need it.  It's a conundrum.  I mean if I were a doctor, I could just say that my profession in an of itself helped others.  But art . . . that is a profession were the help and altruism is a little more subtle.  I would love to hear thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment